SecondChance@NIST is a service initiative that aims to support the residents in the Klong Toey Slums, especially the workers at Second Chance Bangkok (an organisation that upcycle old and unusable material intol beautiful souvenirs). We help them expand their business, by providing them with resources (such as quality second-hand goods), selling their goods here in school and raising awareness at NIST about their organization.
Which UN Sustainable Development Goals Do We Support?
To provide a clear context for the aims of service groups at NIST, we align our projects to the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). “The Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), otherwise known as the Global Goals, are a universal call to action to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure that all people enjoy peace and prosperity. The SDGs work in the spirit of partnership and pragmatism to make the right choices now to improve life, in a sustainable way, for future generations.” This NIST group supports the following goals:
Key Contacts & Experts
Are you interested in learning more about this group? Contact one of the team members to discover ways that you can become involved.
Sustainability & Transparency
All NIST service groups are held to our community’s high standards and values: integrity, caring, community and growth.
Funds Raised (THB)
Amount of money we raise Auction
- Collecting ample amounts of donations (clothing and other materials) for Second Chance Bangkok to recycle or upcycle.
- Collecting specifically old uniforms from NIST through collaboration from NIPTA (already begun) and delivering them to Second Chance who can then either:
- Remove logos and recycle the material for their shop.
- Keep the NIST logo and recycle it, with those items with the logo solely being sold at NIST.
- Straw holders with NIST logo
- Yoga bags with NIST logo
- Water bottle holders with NIST logo
- Raising sufficient funds through fundraising events.
- Teaching the workers of Second Chance basic English language.
- Conducting a needs analysis in the slums to see if they have all their basic necessities met, and if not, seeing what projects we can start there to help them meet their needs.
95% of all funds and resources raised have been directly funneled to the beneficiary communities.
Access curriculum and learning materials that help develop and support our aims. Get inspired and feel supported with materials to help you take on service learning in your own community.
Visit the SecondChance@NIST website to learn more about our group, see photos from our archives and read the latest updates about our activities.
Contact us to learn how you can support this NIST service group. Whether you wish to donate, offer your expertise, provide resources or more, get in touch!